Goalscape Desktop: Slow response in the "The Now Habit" template

and78386

24 Jul, 2018 12:15 PM

I'm running Goalscape Desktop (version 2.9.6 build 4113.1438) on a very performant 64-bit Windows 10 Pro machine (DELL Latitude E6530, Intel Core i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70 GHz, 16 GB RAM, SSD Harddrive), but loading and navigation is very slow in the "The Now Habit" template.

Are you aware of this performance issue? Do you have tips for increasing the performance when using big Goalscape files?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 24 Jul, 2018 07:27 PM

Hello Andreas

Thanks for your error report.

While it is true that very large projects take longer to open and redraw (when changing View, say) than smaller ones, those operations still happen quite fast. We have not noticed any undue lag, even for the template 'The Now Habit' (which has more than 700 goals): it opens in about 8 seconds for me (about twice as long as a 'normal' project); once open though there is very little difference from smaller projects in terms of navigation – it takes about 2 seconds to redraw when changing Focus (using double-click). I am using a (4 year old) Mac mini with 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3.

If you can provide more details about the particular actions that take an excessive time for you we will try to reproduce the issue in a similar environment to yours.

All the best

Richard

2. 2 Posted by and78386 on 26 Jul, 2018 10:49 AM

On my machine it needs approximately 30 seconds to open the template and approximately 10 seconds to switch from focus view to full view. Very annoying time lags when using large projects. :(

Other apps on my machine are running very fast, no time lags at all.

3. 3 Posted by and78386 on 26 Jul, 2018 03:32 PM

I think i've found the problem on my machine.

Seems to be the Windows 10 Defender antimalware process, that caused the delay. Configured the "goalscpape.exe" process as exception and now the navigation in the "The Now Habit" template is much faster.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Richard Parslow on 26 Jul, 2018 04:10 PM

Hi Andreas

Splendid – thanks very much for letting us know.

Thanks too for that additional insight. I have logged the Defender antimalware process as a potential cause of performance issues on Windows 10 machines in case anyone else reports a similar problem.

Cheers!

Richard

5. 5 Posted by and78386 on 27 Jul, 2018 03:37 PM

Hi Richard,

nevertheless, it should be possible to run the software with high performance without such an antimalware exception, right? Don't like such exceptions on my productive systems.

Cheers

Andreas

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac