Goalscape Activation Issues

Steven White

13 Mar, 2012 08:42 AM

I'd like to post a warning to users who use system images (VMWare) on their PC. I have just two computers a PC and a Mac and because of installation on various images I have used up my "spare" activations and am unable to activate on the PC.

I'm close to abandoning GoalScape because of the licence management. The organisation needs to get smarter about managing paid users. If they are going to play these types of games there should be an online licence management system.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 13 Mar, 2012 09:30 AM

Hello Steven

Sorry that you have been having trouble.

I must assure you that we are not "playing games" here: Goalscape Desktop uses the Adobe AIR environment (which makes it fully cross-platform) and the same installation and activation processes apply to it as to all other AIR applications. I am also happy to say that we very rarely hear of people having trouble downloading and activating the Goalscape Desktop software or installing it when we issue Updates packages containing new features.

You are correct in inferring that your use of VMware may be interfering with the way the software installs, updates and accesses your user information stored on the Registry; and that could be why you have had to reactivate your new installation(s). This is apparently a very rare occurrence though (most VMware environments seem to cope with it OK), since yours is the only recent report we have seen of this issue.

Our records show that you have activated Goalscape Desktop 7 times, the latest being on 15 February 2012. Because of the issues in your particular environment I have given you additional activations on your account. If you uninstall the software from your old machine that will free up an activation to use on your new installation.

If you still have any difficulties please post again with details of your Operating System (and version) and how you connect to the Internet (direct ethernet/wi-fi or via a LAN).

All the best

Richard

2. Richard Parslow closed this discussion on 13 Mar, 2012 09:30 AM.

3. Steven White re-opened this discussion on 13 Mar, 2012 11:22 AM

4. 2 Posted by Steven White on 13 Mar, 2012 11:22 AM

Thanks. As noted I have one working version on my rather old iMac. Planning to
    upgrade Mac hardware soon.

Steven

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Richard Parslow on 13 Mar, 2012 11:54 AM

Hi Steven

OK that should be fine – please post again if you have any more trouble.

Enjoy the journey!

Richard

6. Richard Parslow closed this discussion on 13 Mar, 2012 11:54 AM.

7. Steven White re-opened this discussion on 15 Aug, 2012 11:01 AM

8. 4 Posted by Steven White on 15 Aug, 2012 11:01 AM

Richard,

I have lost my activation again moving between images and
    notebooks/desktop.

I'm away from home and cannot use Goalscape on my somewhat ancient
    Windows XP notebook.

Steven

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Richard Parslow on 15 Aug, 2012 12:37 PM

Hello Steven

Yes, with your most recent successful activation on 12 July 2012 you reached the limit of activations.

We have given you another extra permission, so you should now be able to activate your latest new installation using your existing credentials.

When you upgrade your equipment in future you can uninstall Goalscape Desktop from one of your old computers in order to free up an activation to use on the new machine.

Keep achieving great goals!

Richard

10. Richard Parslow closed this discussion on 15 Aug, 2012 12:37 PM.

11. Steven White re-opened this discussion on 30 Aug, 2012 01:17 AM

12. 6 Posted by Steven White on 30 Aug, 2012 01:17 AM

A new version of Adobe Air installed itself and now my iMac Goalscape in asking for activation again. Is this normal?

Steven

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Richard Parslow on 30 Aug, 2012 10:24 PM

Hello Steven

It is unique to this particular AIR update, which clears the Registry for some reason. Hence the requirement to (re)activate your Goalscape Desktop installation(s).

We have taken steps to address this, so you can simply go ahead and (re) activate the software using your existing username and password.

All the best!

Richard

14. 8 Posted by Steven White on 08 Jan, 2013 04:06 AM

Hello,

Could I get your advice on activation?

I frequently seem to have activation problems although I have only one
    PC and one Mac. This is because
    I fiddle around with re-installs and VM images.

With the current special on BitsDuJour do you think I should just buy
    another copy of the Desktop as "spare" or
    is the current rate of activations tolerable for you? I only have
    personal use so the Online version is not of itself
    attractive.

Thanks.

Steven

15. Support Staff 9 Posted by Richard Parslow on 08 Jan, 2013 12:24 PM

Hello Steven

Yes: reinstallation of the OS and other elements in the local environment will certainly require (re)activation on the same machine (as did some recent Adobe AIR updates).

While we never anticipated users doing frequent "fiddling around" with these elements ;-) we certainly do want to allow all our customers to continue to use Goalscape Desktop on two machines concurrently. So as and when you hit your (extended!) limit you will need to post here for more permissions.

Note that if you choose to buy another license on the Bits du Jour promotion (it's a great deal – and has just extended by one day) that will only provide an extra 2 activations, which you could use up quite quickly. You could however keep it as a "spare" (in case we are slow in responding to your requests for more permissions) by using a different email address – that will keep your accounts separate, which should provide some leeway.

The best solution however is for you to use the online version, Goalscape Connect. That does not require any software installation (or reinstallation) on any computer (except Adobe Flash); and you can access your online projects from any computer, whether or not it has a valid Goalscape Desktop installation. The two versions are fully compatible, so you can upload your existing goalscapes (.gsp files) to work on them online. I have attached a Goalscape Connect summary PDF.

The free Goalscape Connect subscription that you received with your Goalscape Desktop license expired in 2011; note that there is a separate Bits du Jour promotion for Connect, which is still valid today; so you can use that to renew your subscription at a 40% discount.

All the best for 2013!

Richard

16. 10 Posted by Steven White on 03 Sep, 2013 06:14 AM

Hi,

There was an Adobe update and Goalscape lost its registration again ..

Could you please advise what my activation status is currently.
    Previously I was down to this Windows notebook,
    having lost the registration somehow on my Apple desktop. I'm waiting
    on the imminent Apple announcement to decide
    on the next Apple or just reinstall there. I do have Goalscape Connect
    but seem to prefer local to online.

Steven

17. Support Staff 11 Posted by Richard Parslow on 03 Sep, 2013 10:06 AM

Hi Steven

No worries – you can simply go ahead and (re)activate your installation exactly as you did before. If you have lost your password you can reset it by entering your username ([email blocked]) here.

All the best!

Richard

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac