'Connect' vs 'Desktop'

Paul Stanley

09 Jul, 2013 01:25 PM

I work in a small company (c10 employees) and we are considering using Goalscape for our project work. I am unclear as to all of the differences between the 'connect' version and the 'desktop' one. I know the 'desktop' version can be loaded onto 2 PCs. My query is mainly about 'connect'. How would I connect to and use it once purchased (ie is it on a cloud with a password etc) and could it be used from any machine both inside and outside the company premises?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 09 Jul, 2013 02:27 PM

Hi Paul

Thanks for your inquiry.

Yes: Goalscape Desktop is standalone desktop software that you can use when you are offline (not connected to the Internet): all the processing takes place on your desktop machine and the data are stored as local files (.GSP). It's like other desktop applications like Word and Excel.

The Goalscape Desktop perpetual single-user license covers full support and free upgrades for life; and you can install and activate Goalscape Desktop on two machines concurrently. It also includes a free 6-month subscription to the web version, Goalscape Connect.

Goalscape Connect is an online application: all the software and data are on our secure servers. To use Connect you need to be connected to the Internet: using any major browser on Windows or Mac OS X, you sign in to your account to access and update your online projects. It's like Gmail or Facebook. You can access your Goalscape Connect account from any computer, anywhere in the world.

For teams working on shared projects, Goalscape Connect is the ideal solution: it provides the same major functionality as Goalscape Desktop and includes some cool collaboration features like per-project access privilege settings, presence and updates indicators, shared file attachments and Goal Chat (per-goal IM with email notification options). There are more details in the attached 'Goalscape Connect summary' PDF.

To make the most of the collaboration features everyone needs their own account. You and your colleagues (and other contacts) can all register for the free trial by clicking the 'Sign up for free' link on the Goalscape Connect sign-in screen.

Note too that only those who need to be able to Edit your shared project(s) will need to buy a subscription. Those who only need to be able to View the projects can register for the free trial and allow it to lapse – they will still be able to navigate and read their projects (and any shared with them by others); they will not be able to edit them though.

The two versions of Goalscape are fully compatible. In Connect you can upload Desktop goalscapes (.GSP files) as online Connect projects; and you can download your Connect projects as goalscapes (.GSP files) to work on them offline in Desktop. There is as yet no automatic 'sync' between Goalscape Desktop and Goalscape Connect.

If you need to know anything else please post again.

Enjoy the journey!

Richard

2. 2 Posted by Paul Stanley on 09 Jul, 2013 02:40 PM

Richard,

Thank you. That explains it to me very well.

Paul Stanley
    Principal Consultant

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Richard Parslow on 20 Dec, 2013 12:43 PM

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac