import Excel data

Tim

19 Sep, 2013 10:12 AM

Hi,

I need to import data from an excel worksheet into Goalscape (GS).

Unfortunately GS´s import function seems to be limited to Mircosoft Project XML and to MindManager MMAP formats. How do I bridge this gap? The export function works well for Excel. GS produces convenient worksheets in Excel. So why doesn´t it work the other way around.

Do I really have to import Excel data either into MindManager or MS Project in order to then import Mircosoft Project XML or MindManager MMAP data into GS???

What I find confusing in this context is the fact that if I export a GS project into excel and then save that excel file as an XML file, this new XML file is not supported by GS and I cannot import it. There seems to be a missing link here.

It would be great, if GS would support the import of Excel data. I am sure this will be/was requested by many other users, as Excel is such a basic program.

Your help on this would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Best

Tim

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 19 Sep, 2013 02:16 PM

Hi Tim

Thanks for your inquiry

Yes, we certainly recognise the value of a facility to import Excel data (XLSX and/or CSV) – and we are are working on it! The main technical issue here is to implement a 'parsing' process to interpret (and maybe even translate) column headings, as well as checking data elements (eg to determine whether they are percentages or absolute values).

The existing Imports are relatively easy, since the file formats exported from MS Project and MindManager are fixed – this means that our Import mechanism already "knows" where to go for each piece of information (attribute labels, data and format) and how it should be represented in Goalscape.

In the meantime, as a workaround you can (as you say) use one of those other tools that has already solved these problems(!) as a pathway into Goalscape. Of course we understand that this requires extra admin work, so we know that we need to deliver our own solution.

All the best

Richard

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Richard Parslow on 19 Sep, 2013 02:33 PM

PS Just to clarify: the current XML Import facility is not intended to be a general XML import, it is specifically for XML files that have been exported from MS Project. These do not have the same format (section order and headings) as XML generated from our XLSX export, which is why you cannot 're-import' such XML files.

We could probably quite quickly implement a facility to import XML files generated directly from our XLSX export. However, simply reimporting data that has just been exported would be of limited value; and for people to use such a mechanism to import XML files from other tools would require (at the very least) a check on column order, headings and data formats (ie doing the 'parsing' process manually) – which is even more arduous than passing the data through a third-party tool like MS Project.

The exported (MS Project) XML file is also not a 'general' XML file so it will not necessarily load properly into any other tools. I confirm that we are also working on new XML exports targeting other third party tools.

Watch out for announcements!

Richard

3. 3 Posted by Banning, Tim on 20 Sep, 2013 11:58 AM

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your quick reply!

Best

Tim

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
    Von: Richard Parslow [mailto:[email blocked]]
    Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. September 2013 16:17
    An: Banning, Tim
    Betreff: import Excel data [Questions]

4. Richard Parslow closed this discussion on 20 Sep, 2013 01:02 PM.

5. Tim Banning re-opened this discussion on 23 Sep, 2013 08:19 AM

6. 4 Posted by Tim Banning on 23 Sep, 2013 08:19 AM

Hi Richard,

the import of MS Project XML works just fine.

Just one more thing: what is the relevant setting/option in MS Project that corresponds to adjustments of the color code of a sub-goal in Goalscape? In other words, how can I influence the goal color in Goalscape via MS Project?

Thanks for your support!

Best

Tim

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Richard Parslow on 23 Sep, 2013 02:39 PM

Hi Tim

Although MS Project allows you to change the colors of goal/task bars and (separately) text (in settings and font options), such changes are not directly related to the 'color goal' (or 'mark goal') functions in Goalscape. So such attributes may be lost when you export your Goalscape data to MS Project the re-import the XML file into Goalscape.

All the best

Richard

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac