Open vs download of attached files in Connect

spbrown5

20 Feb, 2014 02:18 AM

When attaching files of various common types (txt, pdf, MS Office file types), to Desktop, the underlined option choice for all but image types is "Open" while images have "Show" or "Full Screen".

However, in Connect, for all except image files, the underlined option choice, and action taken when the icon is clicked, is to "Download" the file. How can attached files in Connect be either forced to Open or given a choice of Open (without downloading) or Download? Also, there is no "Full Screen" choice for image files in Connect, though the opened Show window can be re-sized by dragging the lower right corner.

Sorry to repeat the question as I think the subject has been covered before, but the answers seemed to say that the files should open...and mine don't.

I have tried this in Chrome (it auto updates itself so what I have should be current). In Compatibility mode of IE v11, double-clicking the icon brings up an IE download manager that offers an Open option. Would prefer it just opened the file as I am not sure if all the users of this Goalscape will have the same browser set up.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 20 Feb, 2014 04:53 PM

Hi Steve

Yes: when you Download attached files in Goalscape Connect they should open in the appropriate native application. However, as you have noted, this depends on how different browsers handle downloads: some download files to your Download directory and Open them; some offer a Save window; some offer a choice of Save or Open. The behavior may also depend on your OS settings.

All the best

Richard
    PS Incidentally your message here went into our spam filter – hence the delay in responding. You can avoid this happening in future by creating an account on this forum by clicking the 'Create a Profile' link. Once you confirm your email address and log in, you can choose to be logged in automatically when you visit the forum and you will be able to see a list of all your discussions (as well as being able to access all the public ones posted by others) – and your messages will never be misidentified as spam.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac