Gantt Chart

kelli.joe1975

27 May, 2017 05:28 PM

Dear Goalscape Team
I have put a fair bit of work defining SMART goals for each of the areas of my life: Relationships, Health & Fitness, Business & Career, Personal Development & Education etc. This is a beautiful looking chart but a bit overwhelming and have not been efficient in my execution. It would be nice to have to ability to convert the goals to a Gantt Chart so I can manage each of them like projects; i.e. create & assign resources, add constraints and timelines. For Example, I'd like to work towards a professional Designation XYZ but I can't start that until I have completed ABC designation. Toal Cost to do ABC is $1500 and Total Cost to complete XYZ is $2500. I would then apply monthly cashflow resources and time resources (for study and exams) and project a timeline to completion. From that I can prioritize and produce scheduling to coincide with my other Projects and demands on resources.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Joe

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 27 May, 2017 10:15 PM

Hello Joe

Thanks for your inquiry.

At any point during a project (especially when it comprises multiple simultaneous 'sub-projects' for different life areas), you have to be able to see the 'big picture' and if necessary reassess your priorities according to the relative importance of goals that are competing for your time, money or attention (bearing in mind the progress you have already made in each area).

The reason we developed Goalscape's unique 'goal map' format was to support this overview in a rich visual format – and to help people to avoid the sort of linear thinking that is represented in a Gantt chart or timeline view.

Although Goalscape is really a goal management solution rather than a task management tool, you can use it for TM if you set Due dates on your tasks and assign Tags like "!Next" and "!Now". Then you can use the Highlight Sidebar Goal List to implement a GTD-type process. Note that if you have set dates on your goals you can display the Goal List as a table and sort it by Name, Progress, Start or Due Date.

I confirm that we are considering ways to implement 'live' alarms and reminders – probably by integration with third party tools like Google Calendar.

All the best

Richard

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac