link goals among each other

Chris

29 Jul, 2018 08:07 AM

It would be nice if one could link from one goal to another e.g. to show that there is a dependency. In addition it would be nice to easily jump from one goal to the linked one.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 29 Jul, 2018 11:35 AM

Hello Chris

Thanks for your inquiry.

In Goalscape, 'dependency' is represented by the goal hierarchy itself: higher level goals depend on their subgoals. You can also use Tags (or Color-code your goals) to indicate an association between goals in different areas of the goal map (ie where there is not a strict dependency).

In the web application Goalscape Online, each goal has its own URL, so you can use hyperlinks in the Notes or Comments fields to jump between goals linked in this way.

If I have misunderstood what you are asking here please post again to clarify.

All the best

Richard

2. 2 Posted by Chris on 29 Jul, 2018 07:53 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I understand and agree with your point: The main dependency is the hierarchy itself. But sometimes additional dependencies exist. To give one example: if two goals belong to different main goals they will be located in different "branches of the tree". But those goals could have an additional dependency like one can't be started before the other is finished.

Yes, I could use lables for that but this would be a little bit hidden AND could not be used to navigate from one goal to the other. Your suggestion to use the URLs of the goals is really close to what I have in mind.

I want to suggest to think about a way to make those 'additional dependencies' clearly visible and also allow in presention mode to navigate quickly from one to the other. And, since I plan to buy the desktop license I hope that you will come up with a solution that will also work for the desktop app.

Thanks for considering the idea.
    Chris

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Richard Parslow on 29 Jul, 2018 09:56 PM

Hello Chris

If you use Tags to indicate an association between goals in different areas of the goal map you can find them all easily using the functionality available in the Highlight Sidebar. Or, if that is still too 'hidden', you can color-code them to make the association more obvious (tip: include a 'Color-Coding Key' in the Notes on the main goal – or create a Custom Notes tab for it).

'Cross-linking' goals using their URLs is already fully implemented in Goalscape Online; we may introduce a similar function in Desktop in the future.

You may also be interested in Marcus Baur's Goalscape for Presentations video and Emmett Lazich's blog article Easy, Memorable Presentations the Goalscape Way.

Enjoy the journey!

Richard

4. 4 Posted by Chris on 31 Jul, 2018 06:09 PM

Thanks for your reply.
    So here is my vote for "we may introduce a similar function in Desktop in the future"

5. Richard Parslow closed this discussion on 31 Jul, 2018 06:30 PM.

6. Richard Parslow re-opened this discussion on 31 Jul, 2018 06:30 PM

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Richard Parslow on 31 Jul, 2018 06:34 PM

Noted.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac