Software automatically downloads latest update then gives message "cannot update - problems with certificate, contact support"

Lyn Holland

21 Apr, 2015 08:27 AM

I have a Desktop licence for Goalscape and have the software installed on my Desktop PC and my laptop. The other day I ran the software on the laptop and it went through the process of downloading the latest update (as I haven't used the software for several months). At the end of the installation I received the following message:
"An error has occurred. The application cannot be installed due to a certificate problem. The certificate does not match the installed application certificate, does not support application upgrades, or is invalid. Please contact the application author".

With a desktop licence, are you eligible for updates? As the software automatically tries to update itself on starting I presume the desktop purchase cost covered the updates. At work I tried running Goalscape on my desktop PC and the same thing happened - automatically went ahead and updated Adobe Air, then gave the error message after trying to install the Goalscape update.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 21 Apr, 2015 08:37 AM

Hello Lyn

Sorry you have been having trouble.

I confirm that your Goalscape Desktop perpetual single-user license covers full support and free updates for life.

Recent versions of Goalscape Desktop (since 2.7.3) are double-certificated, so installations and autoupdates should work fine. Problems installing the software are likely to be due to an issue with the local Adobe AIR environment, so the solution is:

1. Uninstall Goalscape Desktop. This will not affect any of your existing goalscapes (.gsp files), stored in your Documents area.

2. Uninstall Adobe AIR (on a Mac, rather than simply dragging its icon to Trash, run the special 'Adobe AIR Uninstaller' application – this is usually in Applications > Utilities).

3. Go to our Download page and follow the steps to install the latest version of AIR, then download and run the GoalscapeDesktop.air installer file (you may need to enforce the '.air' suffix when you save this file, since some environments try to change it to '.zip'!).

4. Double-click the installer file to run it and follow the instructions.

(This is also covered on our Known Issues page.)

If the above does not work please post again with details of your Operating System and version: we will give you instructions to clear your Registry for a full 'clean' reinstall.

We are working on a captive runtime version of Goalscape Desktop that will make the application independent of the local AIR environment – watch out for announcements.

Keep achieving great goals!

Richard

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac