GS doesn't work

Vladimir Shehirev

21 May, 2015 08:23 AM

Hello
After re-installation GS doisnt work. Main window is empty as it starts. Cant open recent projects. Cant open projects at all. If start new project, diagram opens but cant change anything in it. Can close any tabs. Cant shut down GS - only with task manager. Tried to re-install adobe air - all the same, nothing helps. Please see picture attached.

1. 1 Posted by Vladimir Shehir... on 21 May, 2015 08:53 AM

Win7 is OS

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Richard Parslow on 21 May, 2015 09:03 AM

Hello Vladimir

Sorry you have been having trouble.

Since this occurred after a reinstallation, the issue is almost certainly to do with your local installation of Adobe AIR. Simply reinstalling AIR will not fix it – you need to uninstall then reinstall. The steps are:

1. Uninstall Goalscape Desktop completely

2. Uninstall Adobe AIR

3. Go to our Download page and follow the steps to install the latest Adobe AIR first, then download and run the GoalscapeDesktop.air file. (Note that you may need to enforce the '.air' suffix during the download.)

If the above does not work please post again – we will give you instructions to clear your Registry for a full 'clean' reinstall.

All the best

Richard

3. 3 Posted by Vladimir Shehir... on 21 May, 2015 09:18 AM

Hello Richard!
    Steps 1-3 are done several times.
    Tried to search all GS named folders from drives - deleted them.
    Tried to install to different directory (not program files).
    Nothing helps.
    About the registry, I dont know exactly where to search...

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Richard Parslow on 21 May, 2015 09:59 AM

Hi Vladimir

OK, it appears that you need to clear your Registry and Preferences. This means removing the Encrypted Local Data Storage (ELS) and Shared Objects (SO) files. The steps are:

1. Uninstall Goalscape (again!) using Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs

2. Delete ELS files in the Registry. In Windows 7 they should be in the following directory:

[user_home]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/AIR/ELS/[application_id]

Where [user_home] is the Windows OS account ID used to install Goalscape Desktop and [application_id] is GoalscapeDesktop.

You can delete all folders and files that have the format com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid] – where ‘[guid]’ is a long character string. If you cannot see any files or folders that match that format, they may have been installed under the 'Default User' or 'Admin' user account on your machine (this depends on the specific Windows setup on that machine).

3. Delete SO files in Preferences. In Windows 7 they should be in the following directory:

[user_home]\Application Data[application_id]\Local Store#SharedObjects

Where [user_home] is the Windows OS account ID used to install Goalscape Desktop and [application_id] is GoalscapeDesktop.

You can delete all folders and files that have the format com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid] – where ‘[guid]’ is a long character string. If you cannot see any files or folders that match that format, they may have been installed under the 'Default User' or 'Admin' user account on your machine (this depends on the specific Windows setup on that machine).

4. Once you have deleted those files and folders, you can install the latest Goalscape Desktop trial software from here – download the GoalscapeDesktop.air file to your desktop and run it by double-clicking its icon

5. If you are prompted to 'Accept Certificate' during the download or installation process please do so; and if there is an 'Always accept...' option please check that option.

Sorry if this seems complicated!

You should receive a completely fresh installation, so you will need to Accept the EULA, then you will see the Welcome screen (with options to Try, Activate or Buy). You can activate it using your existing credentials. I confirm that you have a spare permission on your account to do this. If you have lost your password you can reset it by entering your username (email address) here.

All the best

Richard

5. 5 Posted by Vladimir Sehire... on 21 May, 2015 08:58 PM

Hello Richard!
    I have done all the steps.
    Deleted all the files with goalscape name from computer.
    Deleted all the keys from registry that had goalscape name.
    But all the same, nothing changed.
    Please see pictures attached.

Best regards
    *Vladimir Šehhirev*

*Tel.: 681 8657, **5646 5006*
    *[email blocked] <[email blocked]>*

2015-05-21 12:59 GMT+03:00 Richard Parslow <[email blocked]>
    :

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Richard Parslow on 21 May, 2015 09:44 PM

Hi Vladimir

Thanks for the additional information and screenshots. I have escalated this to the development team.

To help us to investigate further, please could you answer the following questions:

1. After you accepted the EULA did you see the Welcome screen (with options to Try, Activate and Buy)?

2. If so, which option did you select (Try, Activate or Buy)?

3. Also, if you had previously selected a language other than US English, was the Welcome screen displayed in that language or in English? (The EULA is only displayed in English, regardless of any previous language selection.)

In the meantime there is one other area to try. We know that in some Windows 7 environments, the ELS and SO files are stored under a different user account than that used to install the software (this is a Windows idiosyncrasy!). So you need to look for ELS and SO files under other user_IDs on that machine (even if it is never shared with anyone else).

Uninstall Goalscape Desktop and Adobe AIR (again!), then in My Computer, under C:/Users, look for accounts with names like 'Admin', 'Guest' or 'Default User' (a screenshot of your C:/Users directory would be very useful here). In each user_ID, look in the 'AppData/Roaming/Adobe/AIR/ELS' and 'Application Data[application_id]\Local Store#SharedObjects' directories. If you find any files and folders that have the name com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid], delete them. Then reinstall AIR and Goalscape Desktop again.

Once again I am very sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for your patience and cooperation here.

Richard

7. 7 Posted by Vladimir Sehire... on 21 May, 2015 10:24 PM

Hi Richard
    As I hit "Accept" button nothing appears. Nothing but just empty window
    that you can only minimize or close using task manager. No welcome screen
    with language selection. Can't open projects. I can create new project File
    ---->New, but as it is created can't edit it, can't save, can't close
    created tabs. Please see screenshot attached. About the different users
    I've explored these folders, there is nothing from goalscape. I found all
    the folders that contains "Goalscape" name on C:\ using "search programs
    and files" and deleted them. Please see screenshots attached.

Lugupidamisega
    *Vladimir Šehhirev*

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Richard Parslow on 22 May, 2015 07:18 AM

Hello Vladimir

Thanks for the screenshots. The fact that the Welcome screen does not appear after you accept the EULA confirms that the Registry has not yet been cleared.

Unfortunately just doing a Search in Windows will NOT find all the ELS and SO files. The only way to find them is to go to the relevant directories under all the user accounts (ie under "Default" and "Public" as well as "Vova"). So you need to check ALL the following directories:

• For the ELS files and folders:

Default/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/AIR/ELS/

Public/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/AIR/ELS/

Vova/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/AIR/ELS/

• For the SO files (Preferences)

Default/Application Data[application_id]\Local Store#SharedObjects

Public/Application Data[application_id]\Local Store#SharedObjects

Vova/Application Data[application_id]\Local Store#SharedObjects

If you find any files or folders that have the name format 'com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]', you need to delete them.

Vladimir I am sure that when you have found and deleted these files, you will be able to install, activate and run Goalscape Desktop again.

Best

Richard

9. 9 Posted by Vladimir Sehire... on 22 May, 2015 07:22 PM

Hi Richard,
    Please see screenshots attached.
    Computer is clear but after installation all repeats again.
    I tried to install to different folder and to different HDs - nothing
    changes.

Lugupidamisega
    *Vladimir Šehhirev*

2015-05-22 10:18 GMT+03:00 Richard Parslow <[email blocked]>
    :

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Richard Parslow on 22 May, 2015 08:13 PM

Hello Vladimir

Thanks for the screenshots – they are very useful.

Any reinstallation (in any directory) will not work until we have found and removed the ELS files. The problem here is that Windows 7 does some strange things on installs, so the relevant AppData/Roaming/Adobe/AIR/ELS files and folders may be in some directories that are under others in the User accounts. This means you may have to do some detective work to find where the OS has stored the Registry and Preferences information.

In the C:/Users/Public directory, please check the following directories (and subdirectories thereof):

• Favorites
    • Libraries
    • Public Desktop
    • Public Downloads

The first 3 appear to be 'grayed out', so you will need Admin access to that account to change the settings to Show Hidden Folders.

In the C:/Users/Default/ directory, check AppData (and the Local and Roaming subdirectories, if present).

In the C:/Users/Vova/AppData/Roaming/Adobe directory, please check in the 'Common' directory (and subdirectories thereof).

In C:/Users/Vova/AppData/Local directory, please check in the 'Adobe' directory (and subdirectories thereof).

I am sorry this is so complicated: rest assured that it is to do with the way Windows 7 handles all Adobe AIR applications, not just Goalscape Desktop.

Best

Richard

11. 11 Posted by Vladimir Sehire... on 23 May, 2015 09:47 AM

Hi Richard!
    Ive checked all these locations manually - deleted all above mentioned
    files. And then using windows search (I turned on file indexation on whole
    c: drive). I can say for sure now - there is no any file or folder with the
    name that includes words "goalscape" or "air" or "adobe air". I cant
    imagine what I could do more.

Lugupidamisega
    *Vladimir Šehhirev*

2015-05-22 23:13 GMT+03:00 Richard Parslow <[email blocked]>
    :

12. 12 Posted by Vladimir Sehire... on 23 May, 2015 10:37 AM

Hi Richard
    I've just tried to create new windows account and GS works properly there.
    But do you have any idea how I could start it on old one?

Lugupidamisega
    *Vladimir Šehhirev*

2015-05-22 23:13 GMT+03:00 Richard Parslow <[email blocked]>
    :

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Richard Parslow on 23 May, 2015 09:08 PM

Hello Vladimir

Sorry you are still having trouble – it is good that your latest installation under the new account works.

As the installation works on the new account but not on the old one, it means that the some ELS and/or SO files must still be somewhere under the old account (or under one of the other accounts!).

The problem is that Windows 7 is inconsistent in the way it handles installations of AIR applications: it stores the Registry and Preferences information in different locations on different computers (and, as you have found, at different times on the same machine – your original installation worked fine and the issue only occurred on reinstallation).

This is compounded by the fact that the Windows OS 'Search' function does not find the ELS files and folders, so you have to manually search through all the possible directories. If we find an easy way to do this we will post here again.

All the best

Richard

14. 14 Posted by Vladimir Sehire... on 24 May, 2015 10:29 AM

Hi Richard,
    All "users" folders are clean from Golscape named files thats for sure. If
    you say that some ELS or SO files that causes this problem are still
    present in system somewhere then they have name other than Goalscape.
    Please tell what name they have and I'll delete them also. My own opinion
    that the problem is somewhere in registry (I mean not on the hard drive
    somewhere but in windows registry. Maybe we should delete or change some
    keys or key's values) but I don't know which ones. Your programmers should
    know that.

Lugupidamisega
    *Vladimir Šehhirev*

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Richard Parslow on 24 May, 2015 03:28 PM

Hello Vladimir

The ELS and SO files and directories have the name format 'com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]' (where 'guis' is a long character string). They should be in the relevant user account (the one used to install the software), somewhere in the directories AppData/Roaming/Adobe/AIR/ELS/ (ELS files) and Application Data[application_id]\Local Store#SharedObjects (SO files).

However in this case it appears that Windows 7 has put them somewhere else on your hard drive – they must still be present as they are interfering with your reinstallation of Goalscape Desktop undr the Vova account. Unfortunately you cannot use Search to find them – they will not appear in the results if you enter 'goalscape' (or even 'com.goalscape.app') in the search field, so you have to search manually through the directory structure, starting with the suggested locations in my previous message.

I understand that you have successfully installed and activated Goalscape Desktop under a newly-created account on that machine, which shows that the software itself and the download, installation and activation process are all working. We have also given you extended access to the online version Goalscape Connect free of charge. You can sign in there with your existing Goalscape username and password, then upload any Desktop goalscapes (.gsp files) to work on them as online projects.

You may also wish to try reinstalling the OS again – that might clear the residual Registry information.

We will post again with any news.

Richard

16. Support Staff 16 Posted by Richard Parslow on 26 May, 2015 01:09 PM

Hello Vladimir

We have just heard from another customer who had a similar installation issue with Windows 7 (though not exactly the same problem). She was able to resolve it using the Microsoft Fix It facility.

So you may be able to use MS Fix IT to clear your registry and resolve your update issue. (See the section on 'Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled' here.)

Best

Richard

17. 17 Posted by Vladimir Sehire... on 26 May, 2015 01:48 PM

Hello Ricard!
    OK I'll try it! Thank you!

Best regards
    *Vladimir Šehhirev*

2015-05-26 16:09 GMT+03:00 Richard Parslow <[email blocked]>
    :

18. Richard Parslow closed this discussion on 15 Jun, 2015 12:28 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac