My trial version crashes

Rafael

26 May, 2015 04:07 PM

Hi! I downloaded the trial version for Mac of goalscape. I like it very much but I see that it always crashes when I am trying a new project. And I loose everything I wrote. Any help? Thank you

1. 1 Posted by Rafael on 26 May, 2015 04:12 PM

I have a MacBook Pro using the Yosemite OS. Thanks!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Richard Parslow on 26 May, 2015 05:55 PM

Hello Rafael

Sorry you have been having trouble.

I have escalated this to the development team. To help us to investigate this issue please could you confirm exactly what you mean by 'crashes' – a screenshot of what you see would be very useful.

Please could you also send us the log files after a crash – you need to do this after a crash and before you restart Goalscape Desktop (the log files are all reset at the start of every session). In Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, the log files are in the following directory:

[User_ID]/Library/Preferences/com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]/Local Store/logging

(Where 'User_ID' is your user account and 'guid' is a long character string.)

Accessing your Library

If in Finder you cannot see a 'Library' folder under your user account, it means it is hidden (this is the default setting in Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite). So you will need to unhide it before you will be able to find the Goalscape Desktop log files. The steps to do this are:

1. Click the Spotlight icon (magnifying glass top right)

2. Enter 'terminal' and click the 'Terminal' option when offered

3. In Terminal, enter the following text

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Then press Enter.

The next time you go into Finder, your Library folder will be available. Go to [User_ID]/Library/Preferences/com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]/Local Store/logging.

This folder should contain 3 text files:

• goalscape-log.txt
    • error-log.txt
    • messaging-log.txt

Please send us all 3 files.

Download and installation problems are nearly always due to issues with the local Adobe AIR environment. So after you have sent us the log files for a crash session, please try the following:

1. Uninstall Goalscape Desktop

2. Uninstall Adobe AIR – on a Mac, rather than simply dragging the AIR icon to Trash, you need to use the special 'Uninstall AIR' application (this is usually in Applications > Utilities).

3. Go to our Download page and follow the steps to download the latest AIR first, then download and run the GoalscapeDesktop.air file. (Note that you may need to enforce the '.air' suffix during the download.)

4. If you have any issues with the download you can also try using a different browser. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.

If the above does not work please post again and we will give you instructions to clear your Registry for a full 'clean' reinstall.

In the meantime we have reinstated your trial of Goalscape Connect (your previous trial expired in 2012), so you can log in here with your Goalscape credentials. In Goalscape Connect you can upload your Desktop goalscapes (.gsp file) and continue to work on them as online projects.

All the best

Richard

3. 3 Posted by Pacanins Rafael... on 26 May, 2015 07:08 PM

Thank you Richard!
    1. By ³crash² i mean that the Goalscape desktop trial version simply
    quits. Then I restart it again and all my data is gone.
    2. I am sending you the 3 files plus the problem report my laptop sends to
    Apple
    3. I already uninstalled Goalscape and Adobe Air, and installed it again.
    And sadly it shut down again.
    4. Thanks for the new trial for Goalscape Connect

I hope you can help me. I am really interested to use this program. Thanks

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Richard Parslow on 26 May, 2015 07:24 PM

Hello Rafael

Thanks for the logs. Unfortunately the crucial 'error-log.txt' file did not arrive – please could you send that one as well.

The developers can see this discussion and will respond here with any news.

In the meantime you could try clearing the Registry and Preferences:

2. Uninstall Adobe AIR

3. Clear the Registry. You need to delete all the Encrypted Local Data Storage (ELS) files, which have the name format: 'com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]'(where ‘[guid]’ is a long character string)

The ELS files will be in one or both of the following folders:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR/ELS

The issue you have encountered is extremely unusual, so there may also be cached copies on your system. If so, these will be in the following folder:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Caches

You can delete ALL files and folders there that have the form 'com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]'

4. Clear Preferences. You need to delete the Goalscape Desktop SO files in your Preferences area. These have the same name format: 'com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]' (where ‘[guid]’ is a long character string) and they are in the following folder:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Preferences

Wherever you find files and folders that have the form: 'com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]' you need to DELETE THEM.

5. Go to our Download page and follow the steps to download the latest AIR first, then download and run the GoalscapeDesktop.air file. (Note that you may need to enforce the '.air' suffix during the download.)

All the best

Richard

5. 5 Posted by Pacanins Rafael... on 27 May, 2015 12:15 AM

Dear Richard,
    Thank you for this note.
    1. The 'error-log.txt¹ file is empty. See screen shot attached and the 3
    files attached.
    2. Goalscape and Adobe Air unninstalled.
    3. All ELS cleared from de Registry.
    4. Preferences cleared.
    5. Again downloaded Adobe Air and LATER Goalscape desktop.
    6. Again ³Goalscape quit unexpectedly². See screen shot attached.

I am perseverantŠ Hahaha Thanks for your help!

6. 6 Posted by Pacanins Rafael... on 27 May, 2015 12:19 AM

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Richard Parslow on 27 May, 2015 07:56 AM

Hi Rafael

Thanks for the additional information. We are investigating and will post here with any news.

Best

Richard

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Richard Parslow on 27 May, 2015 08:27 AM

Hello Rafael

Quick update: this appears to be an issue with the latest version of AIR – users of other applications have been reporting issues to Adobe; no clear answers so far though.

So you could try installing a previous version of Adobe AIR Runtime. The steps are:

2. Uninstall Adobe AIR – on a Mac, rather than simply dragging the AIR icon to Trash, you need to use the special 'Uninstall AIR' application (this is usually in Applications > Utilities).

3. Install Adobe AIR 16.0.0.245 Mac from here:
      http://download.macromedia.com/air/mac/download/16.0/AdobeAIR.tbz2 (if that link does not work, go to the full AIR archive here: https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived-air-sdk-version.html)

4. Download the Goalscape Desktop installer file from here: http://www.goalscape.com/update/GoalscapeDesktop.air

If you have fully cleared the Registry you will need to accept the EULA – then on the Welcome screen, click Try. You will have a full fresh trial, effective for 14 days.

All the best

Richard

9. 9 Posted by Pacanins Rafael... on 28 May, 2015 02:44 AM

Hello Richard! Thanks for this update! Now Goalscape Desktop is working
    perfectly fine! Thank you very much for your help, really.
    Now I am trying to figure out how to connect to Goalscape Connect. You
    told me you did a reset of my old trial version. How can I connect my
    Goalscape Desktop to Goalscape Connect to try it on my iPhone and iPad?
    Thank you very much for everything Richard. God bless you!

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Richard Parslow on 28 May, 2015 09:11 AM

Hello Rafael

You can sign in to Goalscape Connect here on any computer using any major browser, using your Goalscape credentials. If you have lost your password you can reset it here.

In Goalscape Connect you can upload your Desktop goalscapes (.gsp files) using the 'up into the cloud' button at the top of the screen and work on them as online projects. You can also download your online projects as .gsp files to work on them in offline.

Note though that there is no automatic sync between Goalscape Connect and Goalscape Connect. So if you make changes in Goalscape Desktop you will need to re-upload the project: it will create a new instance of the project in Goalscape Connect so you will need to do your own version control.

You can also access the full Goalscape Connect functionality on an iPad if you use the free Puffin browser (unlike the standard Safari mobile browser, Puffin supports Flash applications).

The Goalscape Mobile app is a companion app for the web application Goalscape Connect: it syncs with your online projects to deliver daily goals and tasks to your phone in a text hierarchy format. This means that you need a valid Goalscape Connect subscription to use the Goalscape Mobile app.

You can download the iOS version of the Goalscape Mobile app here. It will work on the iPhone and iPad.

Enjoy the journey!

Richard

11. 11 Posted by Pacanins Rafael... on 28 May, 2015 08:00 PM

Thanks for everything Richard. We will keep in touch.

12. Richard Parslow closed this discussion on 28 May, 2015 08:07 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac