Goalscape and Windows 10

Karlheinz Dölger

09 Aug, 2015 09:05 PM

Are there know problems with Windows 10 and Goalscape Desktop?
I installed Goalscape Desktop for testing on Windows 10 Pro, so far without any problems. After starting the program the "Two ways to start" info appears, but I can´t close it by touchscreen or by mouse. I removed Goalscape and Adobe Air from the system and installed both as mentioned on your support site. Nothing helps. Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Karlheinz

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 09 Aug, 2015 11:10 PM

Hello Karlheinz

Sorry you have been having trouble – thanks for taking the time to report this.

There are no known issues running Goalscape Desktop under Windows 10 – in fact many customers have reported that it is working fine for them (both on new installations and updates).

Goalscape Desktop runs on all desktop and laptop machines – both Windows and Macs. You mention "touchscreen" – are you trying to use it on a tablet or phone? If so, please confirm the make and model of the device and we will confirm whether that environment is supported.

In the meantime you can continue to try Goalscape using the web application Goalscape Connect – you can register for a free trial here or click the 'Sign up for free' link on the sign-in screen itself. It works well in any browser on desktop and laptop machines – and in most browsers (requires Adobe Flash Player)

Enjoy the journey!

Richard

2. 2 Posted by karlheinz.doelg... on 10 Aug, 2015 06:51 AM

Hello Richard, thank you for your answer

I tried to use Goalscape on a Microsoft Surface 2 Pro. With this device you can use a small keyboard or just the touchscreen like a tablet pc to work with Windows 10. I tried both ways with the same results.
    May be there is a problem with the Adobe Air and Windows 10?! When I maximize the Goalscape window from the title bar, there is still a shadow layer with the size of the Goalscape window after program start (hope it is understandable).

I´ll wait for the next MS Updates and will have a look in Adobe forums.
    I just wanted to let you know about this issue in case any other users have similar problems.

Thanks again, best regards from Germany

Karlheinz

-----Original-Nachricht-----
    Betreff: Goalscape and Windows 10 [Problems]
    Datum: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 01:10:20 +0200
    Von: Richard Parslow <[email blocked]>
    An: [email blocked]

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Richard Parslow on 10 Aug, 2015 11:24 AM

Hello Karlheinz

Thanks very much for the additional information.

Yes: it appears that the issue running Goalscape Desktop on the Surface Pro is due to differences in AIR for that environment. There are definitely no issues with Adobe AIR under Windows 10 on desktop or laptop computers.

You should still be able to try the web application Goalscape Connect on that device, since IE 11 supports Flash applications. Please let us know if this works OK for you.

All the best!

Richard

4. 4 Posted by karlheinz.doelg... on 12 Aug, 2015 10:02 PM

Hello Richard,

is there a way to disable the info "Two ways to start" before Goascape
    starts (via registry, file start option, … )? So, that’s the same when I
    click on "close tip and do not show it again". May be all tips are to
    disable generally?!

They only browser the connect web application works on my Win10 system is
    Google Chrome and Firefox (v40), right now. FF crashes sometimes after a
    while (the flash plugin). With IE and Edge I can login but then I see only
    the dark background. What about offline working and after going only syncing
    again? Is download/upload the .gsp file the only way to implement that kind
    of sync? What if I close the browser accidently or it crashes; are the data
    cached anywhere? Where is the icon to open an existing goalscape as
    described in the help file which opens when I click on the area “Goalscap
    connect” in the upper left corner? So right now, I am not sure if the web
    app is the right alternative for me.

Best regards
    Karlheinz

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
    Von: Richard Parslow [mailto:[email blocked]]
    Gesendet: Montag, 10. August 2015 13:24

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Richard Parslow on 12 Aug, 2015 10:54 PM

Hello Karlheinz

If you are referring to the tooltip you can check the 'Close and do not show this message again' option (see attached screenshot). Of course you will only ever need to do this once for each tooltip! We do not recommend that you make any changes to the Registry, since that may cause problems with your Goalscape Desktop installation.

If you are still trying to use Goalscape on your tablet, issues with Adobe Flash Player may explain the problems that you are encountering using Goalscape Connect in IE/Edge and Firefox (although it is good to know that it works OK in Chrome in that environment – possibly because Chrome uses a 'built in' version of Flash Player).

In Goalscape Connect all the software and data are on our secure servers. So even if you have a crash, your last update before the crash will have been saved. You can of course make your own backups using the 'down from the cloud' icon at top left of the Goalscape Connect screen.

If you have existing goalscapes (.gsp files) that you have created in Goalscape Desktop, you can upload them to Goalscape Connect using the 'up into the cloud' icon. Right now there is no automatic sync between Goalscape Desktop and Goalscape Connect, so if you download a Goalscape Connect project and make changes to it in Goalscape Desktop you will need to re-upload it: that will create a new instance of the online project, so you need to do your own version control.

I am not sure what you mean by "Where is the icon to open an existing goalscape as
    described in the help file which opens when I click on the area “Goalscap
    connect” in the upper left corner?". In Goalscape Desktop you can open files using File > Open (or use the 'open file' icon or the hotkey shortcut Ctrl+ O); and in Goalscape Connect you can open projects that you have closed in your workspace from the User Projects List, accessed via the Home tab (the leftmost tab). If I have misunderstood what you are asking here please post again to clarify.

All the best

Richard

6. 6 Posted by karlheinz.doelg... on 13 Aug, 2015 11:36 AM

Hello Richard,

my start-up problem and the reason why I contacted the support was that I cannot close the tooltip and I can´t access the underlying part of it (please see my first post). That´s why I thought to disable the tipps generally.

My problem with "Where is the icon to open an existing goalscape as described in the help file ..."
    is clear now. Opening the help file brings the online help page "Goalscape Connect - Help". Here you can find "Starting Goalscape" and then "Open a new or existing goalscape". In the help text is described "Click the Open icon at the top left of the screen".
    I understand now that the help text is made for the desktop version and not the Connect one. Sorry for the confusion!

I am still double-minded which version could be the right. Using the program offline would be better for the workplace because of the restricted IT-permissions to save data on external servers. The connect version is the only one which running on my Windows 10 system for now.

So, I am still testing for the rest of the trial period to become familar with the program

Thanks again for your help and patience

Karlheinz

Datum: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 00:55:02 +0200

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Richard Parslow on 13 Aug, 2015 12:14 PM

Hello Karlheinz

Yes: Goalscape Desktop works on all desktop and laptop computers; there may be however be issues with using it on a tablet (even if it running the same Windows 10 OS) due to the way the local Adobe AIR installation works on such devices. Similar issues may affect Goalscape Connect, due to the way Adobe Flash Player works in the browsers on those devices.

In this case I understand it, the option 'close tip and do not show it again' appears on the tooltip, but you cannot select it. That is almost certainly due to an issue with the local AIR environment that affects the Surface 2 tablet (it certainly does not affect Goalscape Desktop installed under Windows 10 on desktop or laptop machines).

Thanks for the notification about the anomaly where the Goalscape Connect Help includes a section that only applies to Goalscape Desktop – we will investigate this.

If your workplace has significant data security restrictions, you and your colleagues may wish to consider our corporate product Goalscape Enterprise. This is available as a SaaS implementation (minimum 10 users) or as a corporate intranet installation (minimum 50 users). There are more details in the attached pdf.

Thanks again for taking the time to report this and for providing the additional clarification that will help us to improve Goalscape for tablets and other mobile devices – and our online Help.

Enjoy the journey!

Richard

8. 8 Posted by karlheinz.doelg... on 13 Aug, 2015 02:29 PM

The attached file **Goalscape Enterprise** is missing

Karlheinz

Datum: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:15:03 +0200

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Richard Parslow on 13 Aug, 2015 03:26 PM

Oops, sorry – now attached.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac