Shame - simply doesn't work

Steve Burnand

04 Jun, 2016 03:03 PM

I looked at this software, and it looked absolutely great - just what I wanted. I signed up for a free trial, and tried to use. Unfortunately, it simply doesn't work. Even time I try and do something it just locks up and I have to force quit the browser. I have tried a number of times, and it just does the same. Its unusable. I am glad I didn't pay for this, but I am so sad that it doesn't work.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 04 Jun, 2016 06:52 PM

Hello Steve

Sorry you have had trouble – thanks for taking the time to post this report.

We cannot reproduce the error you describe and we have not heard from anyone else having a similar problem. Our servers have not been down and Goalscape Online is working fine in all our tests.

So what is happening to you may simply be a browser or plugin issue: please try using a different browser (we recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome). You may also wish to check that your installed Adobe Flash Player is up to date – you can download the latest version here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.

If that does not work, to help us to investigate please could you provide some additional details:

• The make and model of your machine

• The Operating System and version

• The browser(s) and version(s) that you have tried.

Please also confirm the operations that caused the 'lock up' (eg Add Goal, Change Importance/Progress, Change Goal Name, Notes Text, Share project, etc). Screenshots would also be useful.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation here.

All the best

Richard

2. 2 Posted by Steve Burnand on 04 Jun, 2016 07:19 PM

On 4 Jun 2016, at 19:52, Richard Parslow <[email blocked]> wrote:

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================
    Subject: Shame - simply doesn't work

Hello Steve

Sorry you have had trouble – thanks for taking the time to post this report.

We cannot reproduce the error you describe and we have not heard from anyone else having a similar problem. Our servers have not been down and [Goalscape Online](https://connect.goalscape.com) is working fine in all our tests.

So what is happening to you may simply be a browser or plugin issue: please try using a different browser (we recommend [Mozilla Firefox](http://www.getfirefox.net) or [Google Chrome](https://www.google.com/chrome)). You may also wish to check that your installed Adobe Flash Player is up to date – you can download the latest version here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.

I am using the latest flash version 21.0.0.242

If that does not work, to help us to investigate please could you provide some additional details:

* The make and model of your machine - Macbook Pro Retina 2012; Memory 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3; Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core I7; Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB; Start Up 750GB Flash Hard drive

* The Operating System and version OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.5

* The browser(s) and version(s) that you have tried.  Safari 9.1.1 (11601.6.17) - locked up constantly.  Have since installed Mozilla but not really had a chance to use.  However, I don’t really want to have to have a separate browser for one application.  Literature says it works on Mac, and Safari is the native browser so it should work safari.  IOS use safari.

Please also confirm the operations that caused the 'lock up' (eg Add Goal, Change Importance/Progress, Change Goal Name, Notes Text, Share project, etc). Screenshots would also be useful.  Double clicked on file, trying to close the nag screen to update, right mouse click - it was pretty much unusable to be honest.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation here.

All the best

Richard

View this discussion at our support site online: https://goalscape.tenderapp.com/discussions/problems/19632-shame-simply-doesnt-work

---

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

3. 3 Posted by Steve Burnand on 04 Jun, 2016 07:33 PM

I have just tried Safari again, and reduced subgoal 2 to 7% using the handle and we went in to lock up. Unfortunately, screen grab does not include the circular coloured waiting cursor!

Steve

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Richard Parslow on 04 Jun, 2016 08:06 PM

Hello Steve

Thanks for the additional information and the screenshot.

Unfortunately the only information that came through with your previous reply was your confirmation that you have the latest Adobe Flash Player (version 21.0.0.242).

We are still unable to reproduce this issue in the latest Safari and we are extremely keen to understand why Goalscape Online is not working correctly for you. Please could you provide the make and model of your machine – and tell us how you connect to the Internet (direct Ethernet/WiFi or via a LAN).

Please also try using a different browser (Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome), just to check that this is not a Safari issue.

There is an outside chance that something has happened that has corrupted that particular project, so we are investigating the integrity check. Since that project has no data in it anyway, you can try deleting it and starting a fresh one. To do this:

1. Open the Home tab to the left of your project tab
    2. Click anywhere on the project's line except for its name, then click the Delete button at far right
    3. Open a fresh project by clicking the '+' tab.

All the best

Richard

5. 5 Posted by Steve Burnand on 04 Jun, 2016 08:26 PM

Hi Richard,

It was all in the mail, against your original text:

Computer
    Macbook Pro Retina 2012; Memory 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3; Processor 2.7 GHz
    Intel Core I7; Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB; Start Up 750GB
    Flash Hard drive

The Operating System and version
    OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.5

Browser
    Safari 9.1.1 (11601.6.17) - locked up constantly. Have since installed
    Mozilla but not really had a chance to use. However, I don¹t really want
    to have to have a separate browser for one application. Literature says
    it works on Mac, and Safari is the native browser so it should work safari.

Symptom
    Double clicked on file, trying to close the nag screen to update, right
    mouse click, dragging sizing handle - it was pretty much unusable to be
    honest.

Connection
    I connect via Wifi through an Apple Time Capsule & and a BT router on BT
    infinity

Steve

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Richard Parslow on 04 Jun, 2016 08:54 PM

Hi Steve

Yes, sorry: 'inline' replies do not come through here, only text inserted above the line at the top of the reply field (see your discussion here).

The reason we wanted you to try a different browser was to try to isolate the possible causes (one of which may be browser-related). As far as we know, you are the only person affected by this lock-up issue, so we are trying to understand what is going wrong for you.

As I mentioned, there is a possibility that that particular project is somehow 'broken' (integrity issue), which is why I described how to delete it and start a new one.

If you do not want to Delete it you could also try sharing that project with us – click Share then enter '[email blocked]' in the username field, give us Edit access and click 'Add'.

We will also share a sample project with you so you can see if that one works.

Best

Richard

7. 7 Posted by Steve Burnand on 04 Jun, 2016 09:45 PM

Hi Richard,

I deleted the project (had to do it in mozilla as when I pressed the home
    button in safari, it locked up again) and created a new one in safari. I
    did not want to adjust the shared file from you. I tried a number of
    activities in Safari (Adding neighbour and sub goals and attaching a
    file), and everything was working fine - then I downloaded a pdf report
    and it started to lock up again.

I had done this with the original project, so I am beginning to suspect it
    may have something to do with the downloading of the pdf report.

I¹ll try a few more times to see of I can do stuff without it locking up
    then I¹ll re-try downloading a pdf report and see of that reliably causes
    lock ups.

Steve

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Richard Parslow on 04 Jun, 2016 10:26 PM

Hi Steve

Thanks very much for the additional information.

I confirm I have escalated this to the development team. Please confirm that everything is working OK in Mozilla Firefox, but when you try to do anything in Safari, it locks up (multicoloured spinning 'waiting' cursor).

Please could you also try running the Activity Monitor (click Spotlight and enter "act" in the text field, then select Activity Monitor when it is offered) – in Activity Monitor, select the 'CPU' tab and sort by %CPU (descending). The next time you have a lock-up please take a screenshot of the Activity Monitor at that point and post it here.

Thanks again

Richard

9. 9 Posted by Steve Burnand on 04 Jun, 2016 10:54 PM

Hi Richard,

Please find attached the screenshot of the activity monitor. On my second
    sample, I was OK again until I downloaded the pdf report - after that it
    just locks up, and when the spinning wheel stops, and you try and do
    something the spinning wheel returns - its getting quite reliableŠ..

I tested it by downloading a docx as well, and the same thing happens -
    fine until you download a report. I am getting more convinced this is
    where the problem lies.

So far, I have not had any problems in Mozilla - I have also tried
    downloading the pdf & docx report in Mozila and it does not seem to affect
    it. Works fine.

Steve

10. 10 Posted by Emmett Lazich on 05 Jun, 2016 01:53 AM

Hi Steve,

If you paid and it didn't work, then of course we'd refund you.

The issue you've found with Flash in Safari freezing for basic UI interactions is not happening to us or anyone else we know of. However this is not the first time we've had problems with our webapp client freezing in Flash when using Safari. Meanwhile it works fine in Firefox or Chrome on the same Mac. Safari does things differently in the UI but also very different logic internally, for example with plugin interactions.

The processing for simple things like changing goal importance (width) is not something we can further optimise in our code. So we either have to try improve how Flash runs, which is usually possible, or else we must avoid Flash completely - something we are planning to do!

If not done already, you could try reinstalling Flash (in Safari) from Adobe's website. In case it helps for some reason. See https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions

If you have the time and desire, you can also try installing our desktop app and give it a quick test run in trial mode to see how quickly it responds to your interactions? See https://www.goalscape.com/desktop-install/

FYI, In our next release update (2.9.0) we have made some major internal performance improvements to the logic for generating PDF and DOCX reports! We are working hard to get that release out. 2.9 includes some very useful new features too.

-Emmett

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac