Letter e not working and how to disable emojis

julia

10 Nov, 2021 06:49 AM

Hi,
Every single time I try typing the letter "e" the emojis keyboard appear. Would you know how to disable or stop that? I cannot use the letter e. Thank you.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 10 Nov, 2021 11:49 AM

Hello Julia

Sorry you have had trouble – thanks for contacting us about this.

This is definitely not a bug in Goalscape: it is a Known Issue in macOS 10.15+ that affects other applications besides ours (it's something to do with the keyboard settings or configuration). Goalscape does not support emojis; and there is no 'e' hotkey (note too that all Goalscape hotkeys require the 'cmd' modifier anyway).

There are many posts about this issue on Apple support forums – some fixes are suggested here; elsewhere there is a link to Disable the Mac Keyboard’s Emoji Shortcut. We have also heard of a workaround where using the 'ctrl' modifier with 'e' made the letter appear correctly; and someone else suggested using the Mac voice dictation facility.

If none of those fixes work for you, you could try contacting Apple Support.

All the best

Richard

2. 2 Posted by Julia Ortegon on 12 Nov, 2021 08:44 PM

Hello,

I still have the same problem and also followed the instructions provided but no luck. I have contacted Apple and they said the problem is with the Goalscape app since the problem only happens in this app and not anywhere else. Could you help me fix it?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Richard Parslow on 13 Nov, 2021 12:50 PM

Hello Julia

Yes! We have found a workaround for you to use:

1. Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts Tab and click Add (+).

2. On the panel that pops up, set the 'Application' drop-down to All Applications.

3. In Menu Title: Emoji & Symbols, set the Keyboard Shortcut to cmd ⌘ + e (or whatever you like).

Once you have done this, the emoji popup will no longer appear when you press 'e' in Goalscape (or in any other application).

The background here is that although this is not a bug in Goalscape itself, it is in the Harman AIR framework (so it affects all Mac applications that use that framework). Harman has now issued a fix for this, which we will incorporate into next updates for the Goalscape Desktop and Goalscape Online apps.

Keep achieving great goals!

Richard

4. 4 Posted by Julia Ortegon on 15 Nov, 2021 06:28 PM

The letter “d” is not working now. The microphone comes up when I press that. Please advice.
    Thank you.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Richard Parslow on 15 Nov, 2021 11:10 PM

Hello Julia

If the previous instructions worked for you (to disable the aberrant 'e' shortcut), can you do the same, only using 'cmd ⌘ + d?

We are continuing to investigate this odd behaviour and if we find out anything else we will post here again.

All the best

Richard

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Richard Parslow on 17 Jan, 2022 08:38 PM

Hi Julia

You will be pleased to know that we have now issued the updates that include the fix for both the 'e' and 'd' key issues that you reported here.

The next time you start the Legacy Goalscape app you will be prompted to download and install the update (if you do not see that dialog box, please check that it is not hidden behind the main application window – or click' Check for Updates' in the Application Menu).

Any time you want to migrate to the new world of the web app you can buy a Yearly or Monthly subscription and transfer your goalscapes.

Keep achieving great goals!

Richard

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac