can't drag and drop to move a sub goal which itself has 2 layers of subgoals

gregg

15 Mar, 2022 10:38 PM

I just moved a bunch of subgoals of the main goal into a newly created subgoal of the main goal (eg consolidating).
I have 2 subgoals of the main goal to move. I currently have 4 subgoals of the main goal. These moves would leave me with just 2 subgoals under the main goal.
When I drag and drop one of the subgoals--which itself has 2 levels of subgoals--it visually looks like it moved.
But when I reload (or click to drag another subgoal) it pops back to its original position.
I fear my goalscape my be corrupted.

Advice?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 15 Mar, 2022 10:58 PM

Hello Greg

Sorry you have had trouble.

You should certainly be able to Drag and Drop goals, along with all their subgoals, anywhere on the goal map; and such moves should persist when you refresh the browser page (or perform other drag operations).

Please note though that if you are using the Firefox browser you cannot move goals using Cut and Paste – this is a Known Issue, related to Firefox's restrictions on access to the clipboard.

So if that could be the cause, please try using a different browser (like Chrome or Edge).

If I have misunderstood the issue, please post again to clarify – ideally with screenshots to illustrate what you are trying to do. You can also share that goalscape with us (as [email blocked]) so we can inspect it for errors (if it contains confidential information we can sign any NDA you may require).

All the best

Richard

2. 2 Posted by gregg on 15 Mar, 2022 11:37 PM

I am using firefox. But am using drag and drop, not cut and paste (I did have the cut n paste problem described in the known issues--this is not that.)

I will share my goalscape.

I also have a video, but would not like to share it publicly.

The email you gave says [email blocked].

Your support response time is PHENOMENAL! Thanks!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Richard Parslow on 15 Mar, 2022 11:48 PM

Hi Greg

The email you gave says [email blocked].

Ah yes, sorry: I didn't realise this was a Public discussion. I have now changed it to Private, so you should see this support email address – it's the same as the Reply To in the email notification: [email blocked].

The video will be really informative, thanks – Now that I have made this discussion Private, you can post it here and it will remain confidential (between us).

We are unable to reproduce the 'Drag and Drop limit reached' issue; so please could you also try using a different browser (Edge or Chrome) and see if the Drag and Drop works for you in either of those browsers. If it does, that will be an important clue for us!

All the best

Richard

4. 4 Posted by gregg on 15 Mar, 2022 11:52 PM

I captured the email address which is support at goalscape dot com. Not all that secret ;) Could we turn this back public and I'll email the private info. Just seems healthier for the community.

And you want me to violate my privacy (chrome) or use a new, buggy browser (edge)?

Well, I don't really want to, but I will if these two things don't pan out.

Email coming...

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Richard Parslow on 15 Mar, 2022 11:57 PM

Yes: for Privacy reasons this Tender site blocks the publication of email addresses on Public threads. I have now made it Public again.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Richard Parslow on 16 Mar, 2022 12:41 AM

Hi Greg

Thanks for posting that video – and for Sharing the goalscape with us.

Yes! We hit the same issue you did in that project (in any browser).

Interestingly, it appears that you have been changing the 'My First Goalscape' template, rather than creating your own new one; and that seems to have caused the corruption. The issue could be with the goal you are trying to drag, or with the new parent. This is a new one for us!

I can see that you are still updating it: if you stop doing that now, we will try to fix that project and upload a 'clean' version.

All the best

Richard

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Richard Parslow on 16 Mar, 2022 12:46 AM

PS There is no limit to the number of goalscapes you can create – even during your Free Trial. To create your own goalscapes, go to the Home screen and use the Create button (you can give your new goalscape a name when you do that), or just press '+'. Sorry that this is not clearer!

8. 8 Posted by gregg on 16 Mar, 2022 12:55 AM

I have closed the window containing the goalscape. Hopefully that will mean I'm not changing it anymore.

Go ahead and fix it. I appreciate you looking into this.

I don't think I'm clear on the difference between "'My First Goalscape' template," and "creating your own new one."

I am happy to have aided your development by uncovering a new bug :)

9. 9 Posted by gregg on 16 Mar, 2022 01:04 AM

I'll be listening to this while I wait :)

https://goalscape.com/en/blog/earl-nightingale-key-to-success/

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Richard Parslow on 16 Mar, 2022 01:49 AM

OK, you're all set. We have fixed that goalscape and re-uploaded a copy (with 'clean' appended to the Main Goal name to differentiate it from the original). The new version no longer exhibits the limitations on Drag and Drop.

Suggested next steps:

1. Once you have checked that everything you need is in the new version, to avoid confusion you should Delete the original (corrupted) version using the option in the ellipsis menu in the Home screen.

2. To take Ownership of the new (clean) version:

1. Download it as a .gsp file using the option in the ellipsis menu in the Home screen (see screenshot).

NOTE: You may need to enforce the '.gsp' file extension when you Save As (some OS may try to change it to '.txt' or '.xml', or even clip it completely!).

2. Re-upload it using the 'up into the cloud' (Import goalscape) button on the Home screen (see second screenshot).

3. Rename your version (delete the 'clean' in the Main Goal name!)

4. Delete the original clean version (Owned by us).

The 'My First Goalscape' template appears when you first enter Goalscape: it shows the basic structure and the Intro video (in the Main Goal Notes field). While you should be able to update that goalscape, something strange evidently happened when you did so. We'll take a close look at the corrupted goalscape and let you know if we find the anomaly that was introduced (this is the first time this has happened, to our knowledge).

To Create a new goalscape of your own, use the 'Create' or '+' options in the Home screen (see last screenshot). Although some people run a single goalscape to cover every aspect of their lives, many others run separate goalscapes for Work, Home and Other (Sports, Hobbies, etc) – all of which may be shared with different (groups of) people. So you can create as many goalscapes as you need.

Hope you enjoyed Earl: it's an oldie but goodie – some truths are permanent! There are lots of other useful hints and tips (and videos) on our Blog.

Enjoy the journey!

Richard

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Richard Parslow on 16 Mar, 2022 01:52 AM

Oof – here are the screenshots (originally attached to my previous Reply)

12. 12 Posted by gregg on 16 Mar, 2022 02:59 AM

Looks good. I have downloaded and re-uploaded. And I'm working with it.

13. Richard Parslow closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2022 10:47 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac