The programs installation

Inga

19 Mar, 2020 05:19 PM

Hello,
I followed your advice on the internet and install 2 programs (Adoble and goalscape). Unfortunately goalscpape doesn't work on the Window 64 desktop. Please advise. Thank you!
Kind regards
Inga

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 19 Mar, 2020 06:30 PM

Hello Inga

Sorry you have had trouble.

I am glad to say that Goalscape Desktop certainly does work on Windows 64-bit desktop and laptop computers running Windows 10.

Nearly all issues with installing and activating Goalscape Desktop are due to a problem in the local Adobe AIR environment. So the first thing to try is the 'uninstall and reinstall Goalscape Desktop and Adobe AIR' fix: step-by-step instructions are on our Known Issues page.

Please note that both Adobe AIR and Goalscape Desktop should install in the relevant default directory: if you have a 'Program Files (x86)' directory, the AIR application should install in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files and the Goalscape Desktop application should install in C:\Program Files (x86).

If problems persist, please post again with the following details:

• Make and model of your computer

• Installed version of Adobe AIR

• Screenshots of any error messages – and if there is a 'Details' button please click it and Copy & Paste the full text here (click in the text field and click Ctrl+ A to Select All, then Ctrl+ C to copy it)

• Screenshots of your C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files directories.

All the best

Richard
    PS If you reply to the email notification please enter all your text at the top of the Reply field ('above the line').

2. 2 Posted by INGA on 19 Mar, 2020 07:05 PM

Hello Richard,
    Thank you for the information. Everything done correctly. Please see the
    attachments. However, the goalscape app not working.., My son who
    understands about computers check all your instructions.
    [image: image.png]

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind Regards,

Inga

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Richard Parslow on 19 Mar, 2020 08:20 PM

Hello Inga

OK, it appears that both Adobe AIR and Goalscape Desktop have installed in the correct directories.

1. Did you complete the 'uninstall and reinstall Goalscape Desktop and Adobe AIR' fix (using the instructions are on our Known Issues page)? If not, please do so and try again.

2. If you have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe AIR and Goalscape Desktop, please describe what happens when you double-click the Goalscape Desktop icon to run the application – and if you see any error messages please post screenshots here (and if there is a Details button, C&P the text here).

3. Please confirm the make and model of your computer.

All the best

Richard

4. 4 Posted by INGA on 20 Mar, 2020 02:56 PM

Hello Richard,
    Thank you for the explanation. Yes, we did all of it and when I am pressing
    on the icon the mouse shows that it is opening for one second and then
    nothing happens. It is not messages... nothing ... seems like it is an
    empty icon...
    Would you like to have a TeamViewer?
    Please see the information below about the computer...
    Thank you for your help

Kind Regards,

Inga

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Richard Parslow on 20 Mar, 2020 04:24 PM

Hello Inga

Thanks very much for the additional information – we are getting closer to understanding the issue.

From your description it appears that either the Goalscape Desktop (or AIR) installation has not completed correctly; or that something is interrupting the process.

1. Please open the Goalscape Directory in C > Program Files (x86) and send us a screenshot of the contents (see the attached screenshot of what it looks like on my Windows 10 64-bit machine.

We are interested in the presence of all the subdirectories and the sizes of the Goalscape and GoalscapeDesktop files. If those details are different in your environment, it indicates an issue with the installation, so please try the 'uninstall and reinstall Goalscape Desktop and Adobe AIR' process again, then re-check the contents of the 'C > Program Files (x86) > Goalscape' directory.

2. In case this was in fact a failed session, please also send us the log files. In Windows 10 these are in the following directory (where 'guid' represents a long character string):

C:/Users/[user_ID]/AppData/Roaming/com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]/Local Store/logging

NB If you do not see the AppData folder in your [user_ID] account, it is because it is Hidden. To unhide it: right-click on your user_ID folder, select View and set the checkmark "show hidden files and folders".

Thanks for your patience and cooperation here.

Richard

6. 6 Posted by INGA on 20 Mar, 2020 04:38 PM

Thank you for your help. Please see the pictures bellow

Kind Regards,

Inga

7. 7 Posted by INGA on 20 Mar, 2020 04:43 PM

Maybe this is the problem as well?

Kind Regards,

Inga

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Richard Parslow on 20 Mar, 2020 05:15 PM

Hi Inga

OK, great: the first screenshot confirms that Goalscape Desktop has installed OK; in the second, it appears you may have double-clicked the GoalscapeDesktop Shockwave Flash Object (rather than the 'Goalscape' application, which should start the application itself).

Your latest screenshot shows that you are already allowing 'unsandboxed plugins and the 'Install' button is appearing correctly, which indicates that Adobe Flash Player is present on that machine and working correctly; it is however not required for Goalscape Desktop to run (it requires Adobe AIR). If you are concerned about your Flash environment you can download the latest version.

Please could you describe exactly what happens when you double-click the Goalscape icon to start the application – and send us the log files after a failed session (and if Goalscape Desktop starts but does not run, please run it in Debug Mode: Goalscape > Debug Mode).

In Windows 10 the log files are in the following directory (where 'guid' represents a long character string):

C:/Users/[user_ID]/AppData/Roaming/com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]/Local Store/logging

NB If you do not see the AppData folder in your [user_ID] account, it is because it is Hidden. To unhide it: right-click on your user_ID folder, select View and set the checkmark "show hidden files and folders".

I confirm that I have already escalated this issue to our development team, so they may comment here.

Thanks again

Richard

9. 9 Posted by INGA on 20 Mar, 2020 05:22 PM

hey,
    Nothing happens. please see the link below
    https://gyazo.com/75881cbae4970280bd901a1a74dfd09e

Kind Regards,

Inga

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Richard Parslow on 20 Mar, 2020 09:08 PM

Hi Inga

Thanks very much for that screen capture.

Please try opening the application by double-clicking the 'Goalscape' file in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Goalscape directory.

Please would you also send us the log files. In Windows 10 they are in the following directory (where 'guid' represents a long character string):

These may be useful in our investigations here.

Best

Richard

11. 11 Posted by INGA on 21 Mar, 2020 01:05 AM

oh dear... its really complicated... but I tried many times... if no
    success then I need to ask my son to help...:
    there is just Microsoft roaming ... I couldn't find what you were telling
    me...
    I really hope we can result this issue as I really like your program,
    especially now and seems you worked on it very hard. Really a good job!
    Thank you!

Kind Regards,

Inga

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Richard Parslow on 21 Mar, 2020 01:40 AM

Hi Inga

The reason you cannot see the 'AppData' directory under C > Users > Inga is that it is hidden by your Windows OS. To unhide it (and see all its subdirectories), right-click on your user_ID folder, select View and set the checkmark "show hidden files and folders".

Once you have done that, you should be able to find the 'logging' directory:

C:/Users/Inga/AppData/Roaming/com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]/Local Store/logging

(NB 'guid' represents a long character string)

Just right-click the 'logging' directory, then select Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder (see the attached screenshot). That will create a zip folder (called 'logging.zip by default). Then post that zip folder here.

Please note that if there is no 'com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]' folder (where 'guid' represents a long character string), that indicates the Goalscape Desktop installation is incomplete.

Nearly all installation issues are due to a problem with the AIR environment (even if it seems to have installed correctly). So just in case you did not fully uninstall both Goalscape Desktop and Adobe AIR before reinstalling them from the Steps in our website, here are the full instructions:

1. Uninstall Goalscape Desktop. This will not affect any existing desktop projects (.gsp files), stored in your Documents area.

2. Uninstall Adobe AIR.

3. Restart your machine.

4. Go to How to Install Goalscape Desktop and follow the steps to install the latest version of AIR, then download and run the GoalscapeDesktop.air installer file (if you Save the installer file you may need to enforce the '.air' suffix when you save this file, since some environments try to change it to '.zip'!).

5. Double-click the installer file to run it and follow the instructions.

If this does not work please try resetting your Registry between steps 2 and 3 above. The instructions for doing this are here. When you do this you will need to activate the fresh installation.

All the best

Richard

13. 13 Posted by INGA on 21 Mar, 2020 11:16 AM

Hello,
    My son checked and he sad that no logs just this:
    3/21/2020|01:07:02.769|[INFO]|mx.messaging.Producer|'2094FF22-64B1-89B1-58BA-FAA109F0E2EB'
    producer set destination to 'DefaultHTTP'.

Does this software need, visual c++ redistributable or directx or
    something else is missing?

Kind Regards,

Inga

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Richard Parslow on 21 Mar, 2020 01:03 PM

Hello Inga

Sorry you have had so much trouble.

Goalscape Desktop runs on any Windows laptop or desktop computer. It requires Adobe AIR, and no other additional software environments. We have thousands of customers running Desktop on 64-bit Windows 10 machines; and none of them has hit the problems you are reporting here.

There is one oddity in the Windows 10 environment that may be interfering with your use of Goalscape Desktop: that is the 'Run as administrator' option. This option is really intended for workgroup environments and certainly should not be applied to Goalscape Desktop. It may however have (wrongly) been applied on your machine (either due to your OS settings or inadvertently during the install or start process).

So to check this, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Goalscape and right-click the 'Goalscape' application file. If 'Run as administrator' is selected, **uncheck it. See the first screenshot attached here.

If it was selected and you unselect it, Goalscape Desktop will run correctly.

If problems persist, please provide ALL the following information:

1. Make and model of your computer (eg 'HP Pavilion').

2. Anyone who has ever had any installation issues has been successful after doing the 'uninstall and reinstall Goalscape Desktop and Adobe AIR' fix.

So please also confirm that you have fully completed that fix (all 5 steps detailed on our Known Issues page and in my previous message). It is important that you complete all 5 steps, including restarting your computer after doing the uninstalls.

1. Your screen capture showed that nothing happens when you click the 'Goalscape' shortcut on your desktop. In case the issue is to do with the way that shortcut is working, please try starting the application by double-clicking the 'Goalscape' file in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Goalscape directory and let us know if that works.

2. In order to investigate what is going wrong on your machine, we really need to see the Goalscape Desktop log files after a failed session. If the installation has completed, you will find these in the following directory:

C:/Users/Inga/AppData/Roaming/com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]/Local Store/logging

If you cannot see the AppDate directory, it is because Windows 10 hides it by default. So to unhide it, right-click on the 'Inga' directory, select View and set the checkmark "show hidden files and folders".

Once you have done so, you will be able to see the AppData directory and all its subdirectories, including 'Roaming'. It will appear slightly 'faded', to show that it was a Hidden folder. See the second screenshot here.

In the Roaming directory, there should be a directory 'com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]' (where 'guid' is a long character string) . See the third screenshot here.

If that directory is not present, it means that the installation has not completed correctly.

If the 'com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]' directory is present, it will contain the log files that we need to inspect (the full path is C:\Users\Inga\AppData\Roaming\com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]\Local Store).

So after a failed session (or 'false start'), when you have tried starting Goalscape Desktop by double-clicking the application file in Program files (x86) (not the shortcut on your desktop), please zip up the 'logging' directory (as previously described) and post that zip folder here.

All the best

Richard

15. 15 Posted by INGA on 21 Mar, 2020 01:49 PM

When I am pressing run as admin... PC asking if I would like to let this
    program change settings ... if I am pressing yes... nothing changing ...

I also tried to use troubleshooter... seems like fixed the problem...
    However it is not working ...

Program 86 https://gyazo.com/636f38c7a312d209de0c8ce14f0d04400

I really like your program and trying to follow your instruction which for
    me is quite complicated... yes I restored many times computer after doing
    something with the program...

I think the best would be if we could have team viewer and you could check
    what is the problem...Please... thank you

Kind Regards,

Inga

16. Support Staff 16 Posted by Richard Parslow on 21 Mar, 2020 03:02 PM

Hello Inga

In order to help you, we really need ALL the information requested:

1. Make and model of your computer – eg 'HP Pavilion'

2. If you are running Goalscape Desktop and n administrator, you need to check that your user profile ('Inga') has admin rights. You can check this in your Windows Settings > Accounts > Your info (see the first screenshot here).

3. Your screenshot of your 'Inga' directory (C:\Users\Inga) shows that you are still not seeing the Hidden files and folders. So if you do not see the 'View' option when you right-click that directory, you may just be right-clicking in the wrong place on its line(!). So instead, select that folder and use View:

1. Select Select C:\Users\Inga (so you can see its contents)
      2. Click the View tab
      3. Check the 'Hidden items' checkbox

See the second attached screenshot.

Once you have done so, you will be able to see the AppData directory and all its subdirectories, including 'Roaming'. Previously-hidden folders will appear slightly 'faded'. See the second screenshot here.

In the Roaming directory, there should be a directory 'com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]' (where 'guid' is a long character string) . See the third screenshot here.

If that directory is not present, it means that the installation has not completed correctly. So you will need to do the 'uninstall and reinstall Goalscape Desktop and Adobe AIR' fix.

If the 'com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]' directory is present, it will contain the log files that we need to inspect (the full path is C:\Users\Inga\AppData\Roaming\com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]\Local Store).

So after a failed session (or 'false start'), when you have tried starting Goalscape Desktop by double-clicking the application file in Program files (x86) (not the shortcut on your desktop), please zip up the 'logging' directory (as previously described) and post that zip folder here.

All the best

Richard

17. 17 Posted by INGA on 21 Mar, 2020 03:12 PM

i hope it helps...

Kind Regards,

Inga

18. Support Staff 18 Posted by Richard Parslow on 21 Mar, 2020 03:56 PM

Hello Inga

Excellent: you have unhidden those folders. The one you need to zip up and post here is the 'logging' one. The steps to do this are in my previous message.

By the look of it though there is not much content in the 'messaging' file (and none in any of the others), which indicates an incomplete or failed installation.

Please would you also confirm:

1. The make and model of your machine. Is it an HP, Dell, Acer, what? That information should be written somewhere on the 'box' itself (on a laptop it will be underneath!).

2. That you are starting Goalscape Desktop by double-clicking the application file in Program files (x86) – not the shortcut icon on your desktop.

Best

Richard

19. 19 Posted by INGA on 22 Mar, 2020 10:01 PM

Hello Richard,
    Thank you for explanation and email and ALL HELP! You really were very
    patience! ... Its really complicated for me and I tried again and again...
    I gave up... ;)

Note: Please don't use for now your time as it is complicated and I need to
    get my son done or I will use the online version... as I already bough a
    membership...

Kind Regards,

Inga

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Richard Parslow on 22 Mar, 2020 10:48 PM

Hi Inga

First of all I am very glad you are up and running with the web application Goalscape Online!

Thanks too for 'letting me off the hook' with this knotty problem you have hit with Goalscape Desktop. I am though intrigued as to what could possibly be causing the problem for you, so there are a couple of things you can try (if you wish!):

1. Now you have zipped up the log files you can send us that 'logging.zip' file – just attach it to an email Reply, or go to your discussion and attach it using the 'Choose file' button below the Reply box.

2. Repeat (again!) the uninstall Goalscape Desktop and Adobe AIR process; then before reinstalling:

1. Delete the directory 'com.goalscape.app.GoalscapeDesktop.[guid]' (where 'guid' is a long character string) in the C:/Users/Inga/AppData/Roaming directory
      2. Delete the 'Goalscape' shortcut icon on your desktop.
      3. Search for any files and folders on your machine with 'goalscape' in their names and delete them. If you are updating a previous version, do not delete any Goalscape Desktop projects (.gsp files).

Then reinstall AIR and Desktop from our website.

All the very best to you and yours in these difficult times.

Richard

21. 21 Posted by INGA on 26 Mar, 2020 12:57 PM

Hello Richard,
    sorry for the late reply, but because I deleted all files now won't be
    going again through all hassle. Sorry about that!

Kind Regards,

Inga

22. Support Staff 22 Posted by Richard Parslow on 26 Mar, 2020 05:02 PM

Hello Inga

No worries – I am really sorry we couldn't resolve your Desktop installation issue though.

Glad you are getting on well with Online!

Keep looking after yourself, your family, friends and neighbours.

Richard

23. Richard Parslow closed this discussion on 26 Mar, 2020 05:02 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac