Is there a way to indicate sequence of goals?

Brent

10 Mar, 2015 09:49 PM

I'm new to Goalscape. I'm not seeing how to create subgoals in such a way that when looking at the large Goalscape file I can see (or set) what order sub-goals need to happen. If one task MUST happen before another, I'd like to be able to indicate that.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 10 Mar, 2015 10:57 PM

Hello Brent

Thanks for your inquiry.

If a set of neighbor goals (subgoals of the same parent) has to be completed in a set order you can arrange them clockwise around the parent, with each having to be completed (100% progress) before you can start on the next. Although this sequence is not enforced in Goalscape, you can use color-coding or Tags to indicate sets of time-ordered subgoals and Notes on the parent to describe the order of completion.

You can also use the Start and End dates: the end date of the first subgoal will be the start date of the second, the end date of the second will be the start date of the third and so on.

Enjoy the journey!

Richard

2. 2 Posted by brent on 10 Mar, 2015 11:06 PM

Richard,
    I will use the techniques that you suggest below.
    I'm curious if there is a way for me to "ask" the file "What needs to
    happen next?" Can I have it highlight things by date? Is there any way
    to query the file to highlight certain information I am looking for?
    Brent

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Richard Parslow on 10 Mar, 2015 11:28 PM

Hello Brent

Yes: you can use the Highlight sidebar to highlight goals according to selections by Date, Responsibility or Tag. There is a short video explaining this here (we are currently updating all our videos to reflect the latest functionality and new UI).

You can also use the Tags "Next" and "Now" to implement 'GTD' style task management.

Enjoy the journey!

Richard

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac