Settings of identical Goals/Subgoals

Karlheinz Dölger

15 Jan, 2016 01:45 PM

I am testing the functionality of the Goalscape desktop.
I have goals in my Goalscape with a few identical subgoals they depend on (as a clone, same name, just different tags). So, when I want to adjust the settings of this "cloned" subgoal to change the progess or responsibility I have to jump to all instances of these subgoal to change the settings. Right now my Goalsscape isn´t too big, but when it´s growing this would be a important feature to me to link identically subgoals. Are there plans for future releases or a workaround to realize this feature?

Best regards

Karlheinz

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 15 Jan, 2016 02:21 PM

Hello Karlheinz

Thanks for your inquiry.

Yes: we are investigating ways to support 'synergistic' goals – ie those that contribute to more than one parent – possibly by providing a facility to 'clone' goals (rather than copying them), as you mentioned. This is however not a trivial task, since updating any instance of a clone will require all other instances to be updated at the same time.

In the meantime you can create a synergistic goal as a subgoal at the same level as the goals it contributes to (or as a level 1 subgoal). and use (part of) its name as a Tag, which you can apply to all the goals that depend on it (wherever they are in your project). Then you can find them all using the Highlight sidebar (see video here).

In Goalscape Online, each goal (and each field within that goal) has its own URL. So you can link it to its dependants by including its URL as a hyperlink in all their Notes fields (and vice versa).

Enjoy the journey!

Richard

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac