Ideas

Jacquelyn

25 Feb, 2017 07:30 AM

Hello!

Now that I have been using Goalscape for a while, I wanted to mention some ideas I've had that I think could improve it. It's a wonderful tool that has revolutionized my goal planning methodology. I'm just finding a few things missing.

1. I've asked before and you said it's on the plan, but top of my wish list is more colors options for goals. I hope this is implemented very soon!

2. A close second on my wish list is direct Evernote integration. I am a very heavy Evenote user. I find it cumbersome to have to either keep separate notes for the same thing in both programs, or to have to link to an Evernote via hyperlink in Goalscape. To make matters worse, when I click on an Evernote hyperlink in a Goalscape note, it opens the page in a browser tab, rather than in my desktop Evernote app. I then have to work in 3 different windows.

What I would absolutely love is to be able to connect an Evernote account and then add specific Evernote pages as tabs inside a goal (where the notes currently are). IQTELL, my task and email manager, implements Evernote integration in this way and it works beautifully. Relevant Evernotes are visible right within the task - no hyperlinks necessary.

3. Enable integration with other programs. From reading past forum posts, I understand that Goalscape is not intended to be a task manager, and I get that. But there needs to be a simple way to get actions out of Goalscape and into other programs that are used for task management. I hate redundancy and inefficiency, so copying and pasting from Goalscape to other programs, not to mention keeping both updated, is kind of painful. IFTTT or Zapier integration would be a start for getting ideas out of Goalscape and into something else for the action stage. I'm envisioning the ability to, say, add a specific tag to a goal in Goalscape that would trigger a zap to add i as a task in whatever Zapier-enabled task manager is used.

4. Allow drag and drop reordering of tabs for currently open projects.

5. Add "Mark goal" option to the right-click menu. Right now, it's only available by clicking on the drop-down menu arrow.

6. Offer organizational tools for the main list of goals on the home page. A folder structure would suffice. Sorting by name would be nice. Maybe even a list of favorite or starred projects?

7. Offer organizational system for the tags list. I can already see this list getting out of hand. Maybe a hierarchy like Evernote has? At the least, let them be grouped. (My current workaround is to name them starting with a character that will put them into the order I want.)

8. Allow linking of two identical goals in different projects so that if one is updated, the other updates as well.

Thanks for the great service! I hope you find some of these ideas useful.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 25 Feb, 2017 01:02 PM

Hello Jacquelyn

Thanks for taking the time to post your ideas here.

You will be pleased to know that #1 - 4 and #6 are already in our plans. We will probably use Zapier for integration with other tools (including Evernote); and this may be via an extra tab in the panel.

For #5, there is a limit of 15 options in the right-click menu and we chose Color Goal over Mark Goal. We may change this list in the future.

Regarding #7, it sounds as if you are using a lot of tags! Thanks for the suggestion – we may implement a grouping system at some point.

#8 concerns what we call 'synergistic' goals (goals that contribute to more than one parent). It requires a function to 'clone' goals (rather than copy them). As you will appreciate, this is not trivial since updating any attribute (progress, dates, notes, etc) in any instance of a clone will require all other instances (even those in other projects) to be similarly updated at the same time (although the panel can only display the attribute information for the selected goal). This will of course not apply to changes made to the selected goal's importance, since that depends on the relationship of each instance to its neighbors.

Right now you can link a goal to all its other instances (in the same project or a different one) by including its URL as a hyperlink in all their notes fields (and vice versa). If you are linking goals across projects the best way to administer it is to keep the subgoals on only one instance (usually in the separate 'sub-project'), then update the other projects by periodically C&Ping the up-to-date instance into the other project(s). As comments are datestamped (and identified by username) you can use them to keep track of changes.

We recognize that this admin process is laborious for complex projects with many synergistic goals that may also appear in separate (sub)projects and we have been planning synergistic goal support for a while. Happily, one of our major Goalscape Enterprise customers really needs this feature and is paying us to develop it, so we have moved it up the development schedule. Watch out for announcements...

Thanks again for the great feedback. We always listen to our customers and posts on this forum directly influence our development priorities. Our next update will include several features requested here (some very recent).

Keep achieving great goals!

Richard

2. 2 Posted by Jacquelyn on 25 Feb, 2017 04:48 PM

Excellent! Thank you for the quick response and clear answers to where these ideas stand in Goalscape's plans. Great news pretty much across the board. Really looking forward to seeing these updates!

3. Richard Parslow closed this discussion on 13 Sep, 2017 03:11 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac