My workaround for managing tasks (normal and synergistic)

sridhar

05 Mar, 2021 03:12 AM

I'd like to share my method of managing tasks with Goalscape.

I love how GS is focussed on goals. I spent ages looking around for a way to do this and GS came out on top. The flipside is that it's not so good at the actual Implementation. Being optimised for goals means it can't compete with the great many task management systems out there. I've tried using goals to track tasks, but the tracking and workflow were lacking.

So I'm keeping GS to what it does best: goals management. As for tasks, I've settled on using the kanban boards in Asana. The free account is fine for this purpose, or you could use an alternative like Trello. Like GS, this allows for visual management. I create a board in Asana with the same name as the goal in GS. A card can exist on multiple boards, so that takes care of synergistic tasks.

It's a manual system and I'd love to see better integration to improve the workflow.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Richard Parslow on 05 Mar, 2021 11:34 AM

Hello Sridhar

Thanks for the great feedback.

Yes: Goalscape is really a visual goal management solution, rather than a task management tool. It presents a rich, meaningful overview of the goal hierarchy in any project, showing priorities and progress, with the ability to drill down into the detail in any area.

We do though intend to support task management functionality like scheduling and alerts by integration with third party Calendars and other TM tools. Right now we are working flat out on rebuilding Goalscape 3.0 as a fully cross-platform webapp: as soon as we have delivered that major upgrade we will be prioritising those integrations.

In the meantime you can implement some TM functionality by setting Due dates on goals and using Tags like 'Now' and 'Next', then use the Highlight Sidebar to filter your goals – and generate Goal Lists that you can export to other tools. 

You may also be interested in Marcus Baur's article Set Goals Like Googlers Do (includes a short video) and Emmett Lazich's Getting Things Done – with or without Dates.

Enjoy the journey – and stay safe

Richard

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goalscape please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac